Saturday, June 7, 2008

Being poor is knowing exactly how much everything costs.

This makes me cry. Not because I'm poor, and not because I remember what it was like when I was this poor, but because I'm afraid that I might cry over mac and cheese again some day. The difference would be that now I have a sweet baby's life to ruin in the process, if I let that happen again.

Not to mention how difficult it is to think about all the innocent children's lives who are ruined by any number of indifferences, insensitivities, irresponsibilities, a basic lack of hope.

How am I able to turn every topic into a political one these days? Oh, yes. Because I'm in love with the idea of finally living through and being involved in revolutionary change in America. I've lived my entire life wishing I'd grown up in the 60s just so I could experience first hand people caring as deeply as I do about civil rights. It feels so good.